Sunday, September 18, 2011

Frograss

A mixture of frogs and grass with a lawn mower blade spinning at 1500 RPM makes for some splatter matter. As I mowed the lawn I couldn't help but notice the frogs and toads leaping in every direction. Notice I said every direction, not away from the mower. In most cases sadly it was toward, this was followed by a hollow "thunk" which was the mower blade making contact. Unfortunately on this early fall day I was bagging the grass. There is nothing like smelling fresh cut grass on a fall day, along with juicy frog matter pilled into a bag. I felt guilty, but the longer I sat on the mower I realized nature is just taking its course. If the frogs really don't understand a big loud mower is coming at them, maybe they do need to be fed to the small critters, bugs and birds. Then again, a mower isn't exactly part of nature, or is it?

7 comments:

  1. Delicious. Nothing like the fresh "pop" of a frog in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what can you do. I ran over a huge snake once with a push mower. I felt really bad. I wouldn't have done it if I could have stopped, but it was too late. Too late for snakey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splatter matter...love it. Well, love the word combination...the actual spatter matter, not so much since I tend to walk barefoot in the grass--splatter matter and dog poop. I stepped barefoot in dog poop once long ago. It almost melted my brain. I spent weeks in therapy over that image of dog poop squishing from between my toes. I don't own a dog, I just couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a frog that sits outside the vent that my washer and dryer release steam to.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't help but feel terribly guilty when I slice a frog with the mower. The worst is when they fly out of the grass chute still kickin minus a limb or two.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember Beavis and Butthead, Frog Baseball? thats what this made me think of. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ran over a frog with a lawnmower once. Spent the next forty minutes in the bathroom vomiting and crying. It was a very unpleasant experience. I don't like harming innocent animals (except when I performed a mercy killing on an injured snake once, but that was different). Since then, I have always been extremely attentive when mowing.

    ReplyDelete